“Success is about having, excellence is about being. Success is about having money and fame, but excellence is being the best you can be.”
There was a time when good grades meant everything. It was enough to get you into college or university, enough to get you a good job. However good grades alone do not mean your life is set for great success. There are more skills you can aim to have which are beyond the classroom.
It is important to appreciate the contribution of the skills set a learner can obtain from being part of a club at school. Clubs can offer important life skills that a learner can use for the rest of his or her life.
"Take action, build international understanding, and make new friends around the world".
Interact clubs bring together young people ages 12-18 to develop leadership skills while discovering the power of “Service Above Self.” Interact clubs organize at least two projects every year, one that helps their school or community and one that promotes international understanding. Interact club sponsors mentor and guide Interactors as they carry out projects and develop leadership skills.
The Interact Club of Vivekanand public School has been undertaking community-based projects to help the underprivileged and the old and infirm. Through these efforts, Interactors develop a network of friendships with local and overseas clubs and learn the importance of :
• Developing leadership skills and personal integrity
• Demonstrating helpfulness and respect for others
• Understanding the value of individual responsibility and hard work
• Advancing international understanding and goodwill.
Creating a culture of speech in your classroom means having everyone doing it, not simply those that are willing – do not let students ‘hide’.
What is Dialectica ? A. DIALECTICA IS THE (sic) art of disputing well…
It is the art of dialectic, that puts questioning, reasoning, critical thinking and logic at the heart of the trivium. These are all essential attributes of a great education and to be able to do them well can help ensure that young people perform well academically and, indeed, socially.
It is not enough for schools just to teach knowledge, knowledge is the base of great thinking, but without the practice of using knowledge to challenge and rise to the occasion when challenged, an academic education falters. Argument is key to thinking well.
Debating competitions and debating societies should be a feature of all good schools. However most young people will not engage with it until debate features as a part of the everyday curriculum. By having to think clearly and defend or attack an idea, a work, or a philosophy, children will be challenged and, in turn, will understand more about the content of the curriculum and what it means to them and the society of which they are a part. To instll such type of skills, VPS has introduced dialectic club under the team of dedicated team of teachers.
- The importance of drama and performing arts in education is significant.
- Whether children have the opportunity to perform in theatre productions or help out behind the scenes, studying Drama and Performing Arts not only engages with the creative side of the brain, it also provides an ideal balance in students’ patterns of study.
- It’s easy for children to become swamped in a sea of theory, which is why subjects that offer practical learning are essential.
- But achieving a balanced education is just one of the benefits of studying the Arts:
- Students gain important life skills as they learn the value of critical feedback, both positive and constructive.
- Children have the opportunity to celebrate the richness and depth of human expression in all of its forms. Through creative expression students learn to comprehend our world better and are therefore better equipped to navigate the challenges they might be faced with upon graduating from secondary schooling.
- Drama and the performing arts allow an avenue to develop cognitive abilities that complement study in other disciplines. For example, drama students learn to approach situations in an array of different manners which can help to develop creative thinking and new study techniques. Further, it builds confidence which benefits public speaking
- opportunities. The talent that students discover through the Arts can form habits which transcend all areas of study.
- Communication between peers is accelerated as students are exposed to group activities. This experience also provides opportunity for students to display cultural leadership qualities.
- Some students find their ‘voice’ while studying the Arts. They may discover they are natural problem solvers or leaders. Creative expression is a great way to build self-confidence and can be particularly beneficial for introverted and reserved children.
- The Arts can also be a source of solitude – a place where a child is able to shut out their surrounds and immerse themselves in a creative environment. This process allows the imagination to thrive, aiding internal exploration. It’s a natural precursor to a well-developed sense of self.
- The Arts can act as an agent through which a variety of emotions can be learned, rehearsed and practiced. Adolescents can find it difficult to express their emotions and so the Arts provides a great outlet for children to explore a wide range of feelings including delight, anger and unhappiness. This experience can define a child’s growing sense of independence and interdependence.
Drama and the performing arts serve to generate a rich array of reciprocal benefits for both students and our community. At Vivekanand Public School, Drama and Performing Arts have been part of the curriculum for over a decade.
All students at MIME CLUB of VPS can become involved in the performing arts – musical and dramatic. Our ultimate aim is to provide students with a well-rounded education, which means Drama and Performing Arts will be a strong focus for our club well into the future.
It is important to see the world through the eyes of maximum perspectives.
With this thought in mind, the Editorial Board was formed in Vivekanand Public School and it soon became an integral part of the system. The aim is to train young teenagers to be able to pen down their thoughts and write articles on topics most relevant to the generation of today. The Editorial team also collects articles from students of high school to add to the coveted VIVIAN yearbook, which has always aimed to present the students as the face of the school. Reading of ‘editorials’ and works by writers of various editorial boards is encouraged.
"VPS” promotes, organizes and conducts sports. The objective of the Sports Club is to provide an atmosphere that promotes the development of skills, competition that fosters self improvement and sportsmanship, and allows the budding managers to have fun at the same time. VPS facilitates its students to excel in the field of sports thereby inculcating high level of physical endurance and discipline which is a must in order to outshine in the present competitive environment. We at NDIM focus to achieve this aim.
We at VPS believe that Sports is human life in microcosm. The Sports Club- organizes many events to foster team spirit and sportsmanship of the future citizens; to inculcate & enhance a sense of discipline and the spirit of true sportsmanship; as Babe Ruth has aptly said "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime".
The VPS Sports Cell regularly organizes a myriad variety of sports and adventure events like Kabaddi, Cricket, Chess, Badminton, Handball, Table Tennis, Basket Ball, etc.
Inter School, Zonal & National Events
The Club also undertakes and conducts Inter School, Zonal & National tournaments from time to time. The various tournaments have unprecedented participation from seniors and juniors alike. Adrenaline pumping action is witnessed as the competitive skills are displayed with rigor and passion.
Under Jhankar Club students are welcome to train in Indian vocal music and traditional instruments. We strongly believe that apart from nurturing talent, Indian music is an ideal catalyst for children to be firmly rooted to our culture and heritage.
Music made visible
Indian and Western dance classes symbolize a great sense of spirit, participation and enthusiasm amongst our children. Body movements, rhythm and flexibility are enhanced with regular practice, taught by professionally qualified dance teachers.
Sowing the seeds of life
In tune with our commitment to Save our Universe, VPS has formed the Eco Club where students are made aware of the burning issues such as global environmental issues and focus on multiple projects revolving around pollution, energy conservation, protection of natural resources , water harvesting, plantation of trees and herbal plants etc. The objective of this club is to make children conscious about the environment and its current challenges. The main activities of the club are listed below:
- Group Discussions
- Recycling of waste matter
- Poster Making
- Tree Plantation
- Environment Quiz
- Skits around Environment issues
Arts and Craft activities are a part of learning to children. Keeping this in mind, the arts and crafts were included in the academics under the Artistry club. Crafts particularly develops appropriate activities that can aid learning in other areas like Language, Music, Art, Social Studies, Science, Maths, Health and Nutrition. Since the ancient of times, people created everything they used by their own hands, i.e. hand made things; which was later adopted by the children as a part of crafts. Crafts were initially created for trading, selling, spiritual or artistic expression, as well as creating personal and household articles. In today's life, crafts is one of the educational tools for children. It is not just to enjoy the break time, but also to develop concepts like colors, numbers and shapes of objects and more in the mind of children.
At The Intellect Club, we offer a unique program of high academic standards with a strong emphasis on character-building. Our aim is to provide children with an excellent learning environment where they have an opportunity to develop skills and values needed to become firm believers, who seek excellence in all their endeavors.
We strive to provide an environment which is conducive and holistic in it's approach towards ensuring success. This is our commitment to the parents, who are entrusting us with the responsibility of educating & nurturing their young ones.